- 1 ½ cups of quinoa flour
- 1 cup of mixed chickpea & fava flour
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of aluminum free baking powder
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of Stevia
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla essence/extract
- 1 teaspoon of almond essence/extract
- 1 cup raw almonds, finely chopped
- ¾ cup of sultanas, raisins or cranberries
- 3.5 ounces/100 grams of 70-80% dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of almond, soy or low fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Mix together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and put aside.
3. Separate the eggs and beat the whites with a pinch of salt until thick (use a Mixmaster if possible for all the mixing and beating).
4. Continue beating then add in the yolks and essences/extracts.
5. Melt the chocolate in the microwave and add in slowly to the eggs while still beating.
6. Add the coconut oil and mix well.
7. Slowly add the flour mixture.
8. While beating, add almonds and dried fruit and mix well.
9. Test to see if you can easily form a small ball with the mixture in your hands.
10. If not, add a little milk to help the mixture to bind.
11. Divide the dough in half and place on the baking sheet.
12. Wet your hands and gently form a long log about 10 inches long and 2 inches wide and 1 inch high. Gently flatten.
13. Beat 1 egg and brush over the logs to glaze (you won’t use it all).
14. Bake for 30 minutes or until firm to touch.
15. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.
16. With a small serrated knife, slice into ½ inch biscotti.
17. Lay cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, then turn and bake for another 10-15 minutes (they should feel crispy when tapped but be careful not to burn).